Everyone committed to building a rewarding and profitable law practice has the ability to create one. You can create the practice you want by being more intentional on how you spend your non-billable time.
By doing just one new strategy on this list, you will be taking steps to create the practice you want.
Get found online:
- Communicate what sets you apart in your lawyer profile. What differentiates you? What is your specialization? For example, instead of saying “I provide a broad range of services in Family Law”, say “I specialize in complex family law matters, including executive compensation, trusts, business valuation and high conflict custody and parenting issues.”
- Write a blog post on solutions for your target clients’ key concerns or problems. Select a narrow topic. i.e. instead of writing a blog on “How to Buy Real Estate”, focus on an aspect of real estate, i.e. “How to Convert a Duplex into a Condominium.” Make sure your headline is relevant to your target client.
- Maintain visibility on select social media sites. Use LinkedIn to stay informed about what is happening in your network. Share updates about your firm, your practice and your colleagues. Engage with others on social media as much as possible by answering questions, liking posts, retweeting tweets or sharing blogs written by someone in your network.
- Actively solicit positive online reviews. Build trust with prospective clients. Ask satisfied clients to submit a review about their positive experience working with you. Make it easy for them by sending a link to your review page on Facebook, Yelp, Martindale Hubbell or Avvo.
- Don’t let your website get stale. Consistently update your content with new information about your firm and services. Include video content on what you do, areas of specialization and speeches. Post information on community activities and notable lawyer accolades.
Foster referral relationships:
- Make a list of your top referral sources and professional contacts. Know who you want to stay top of mind with and why. Review your list frequently. Continue to build your list and prioritize who are your most important contacts.
- Strengthen relationships with your top referral sources. Know what they do and who are their best clients. Show an interest in their practice and know what is important to them. Refer clients as often as possible when the fit is right. Acknowledge their accolades and spend “face” time getting to know your referral sources better.
Build your reputation:
- Communicate your expertise. What are you passionate about? Speak and write about your area of expertise. Promote your speaking engagements on social media and your firm website. Post your articles on Avvo, Super Lawyers, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Consistently deliver on your word. Deliver exceptional client value, respond to clients promptly and seek client feedback.
Perfect your client intake process:
- Assess and improve the first interaction clients have with your firm. Make sure the client gets to the right person as quickly as possible and has a sense that your firm values them as a client.
For more detailed information on how to execute the key strategies for building your practice, download Ferris Consulting’s Lawyer Business Plan
“What you can do, or dream you can, begin it; boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”
–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe